Skip to main content

Why Do We Stay in Some Relationships and not in Others?


Why do we stay in relationships? What makes us crazy enough to put small or even big things on the line?  Something we discussed in my class this week is called Social Exchange Theory.  Social Exchange Theory basically means that we will only stay in a relationship as long as our “costs” are lower than our “rewards”.  Now let me explain this a little bit.  Costs would be what we invest into a given relationship.  For example: time, money, energy, etc. and our rewards would be what we receive in return for our costs in a given relationship.  For example, gratification, money, security, safety, etc.

This can be applied to any relationship whether it be family, friends, coworkers, your boss, siblings, or romantic relationships.  If our costs outweigh our rewards, we won’t likely stay in that particular relationship very long.  Now why would this be?  Because it is exhausting!!! When you put more in than what you receive, there are very few benefits to that relationship. When this happens, we are likely to avoid the person or break the relationship.  A relationship that doesn’t serve you simply is not worth the effort.  I am sure that everyone has had an experience with this.  If you are able to identify one, please share it with me in the comments below.  I know I can identify a few of these in my own life, and after exiting the relationship, I felt as though I had gained a piece of myself back that I had given away to these people. And it proved to be some of the most healing moments in my life.

I want to talk a little bit about family relationships.  I learned about some interesting points this week that really resonated with me.  The first was about unspoken family rules.  These can range from never tell mom that you’re bored to only boys take out the trash.  These are rules that you only learn by breaking them and suffering the consequences.  No one tells you what they are, but boy oh boy will you learn.  I was trying to think about some of these within my own family.  I couldn’t come up with too many because my parents set some pretty clear boundaries.  Really the only one that I could come up with is if dad asks for your help, just help.  It will save everyone time and headaches.  What are unspoken rules in your family and when did you learn them?

The second thing I want to talk about is how when we go and visit home, we often find ourselves slipping into old roles that we played while we were growing up. Please tell me it isn’t just me who does this! The first time I came home for my off semester I really struggled.  I felt like I was different but that the people at home (family, friends, neighbors) didn’t see me that way.  I felt it was harder to be who I had become while gone at school than to just be who I was when I was home.  This was a huge challenge for me.  Anyone else felt this?  It was awhile before I felt like I could be me.

This can be for a couple of reasons.  Sometimes when we switch up or adjust our roles, we can receive negative feedback from others which will bring us back to our old behavior (the familiar).  This happens because when people feel like you are changing your role, it forces them to adjust theirs as well.  And change is hard!  Am I right people?! 

Then my professor shared the most profound statement.  If you act like a mom, the more people around you will act like children.  I am very proud of my mothering qualities.  For all who know me, you know that I love to help and take care of people. It brings me a lot of joy and helps me get outside of myself. But I have found this to create a big problem for me in relationships.  I want an equal partner and I haven’t felt like I have had that in a relationship.  And that’s when I realized that it was things that I am doing to create this, not because the people I was with are dependent and irresponsible.  I created this in them by mothering them.  That’s when I did some research and found this article.  Neil Rosenthal gives some suggestions on how to stop being the mother in your relationships.  This was some golden information for me because I know I tend to do this and if I want to find that equal partner, I need to change the way I handle certain things.  If you struggle with this at all, I HIGHLY suggest giving this article a read:


I would love to hear your insights and stories so share in the comments below.  Have an amazing week everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce

This last blog post is on divorce.   This is a rough topic for many families and can be a very sensitive subject.   There are so many reasons why someone would divorce.   For example, reasons could include things such as abuse (physical or emotional), adultery, addiction (of any kind), and abandonment (either physical or emotional).   Whatever the reason, this can be a shattering experience for everyone in the family.   There are three kinds of divorce: 1.        Legal divorce 2.        Economic divorce 3.        Parental divorce Legal divorce is settled by the courts and the marriage is dissolved officially by law.   The second kind, economic divorce is when you separate your things.   This could include finances (you separate bank accounts), property, etc.   The last one is parental divorce where the parents split. Often times if a family that is involved in divorce has children, it leads to joint custody.   This is where they share both resources and physic

Relationships with In-Laws

This week we are talking about the in-laws!!!  This is a topic that many people make jokes about and that many people struggle with.  So how do we create healthy relationships with our in-laws?  What boundaries should we set and how do we do that respectfully?  We are going to explore the answers to these in this post. When we get married, we have just covenanted to love and cleave unto our spouse and no one else.   In Genesis 2:24 it says, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and shall cleave unto his wife.” The dictionary defines cleave as “to remain attached, devoted, or faithful to,” and “to remain steadfast”.   This is what is required of us when we marry someone. In “Creating Healthy Ties with In-Laws and Extended Family” by James M. Harper and Susanne Frost Olsen, they say that, “a newly married couple is to separate from the families in which they grew up. One component of separating from families of origin involves creating a marital identity.” (n.d.)  

FAMILY 100-- Equal Partnership

This week I really wanted to focus on what it meant to have an equal partnership between men and women in families.   I believe that this concept is misrepresented with the views of the world.   There is a large movement in feminism, and it has created ripples throughout the world.   There is a fight for women to be “equal”.   They want the same roles, pay, duties, respect, and more.   They want to feel like they are the same as a man.   This idea is a little bit twisted.   Equal does not mean identical.   The Family Proclamation outlines the roles of men and women.   For men, it states that they must preside, provide, and protect.   For women, their main role is to nurture the children and teach them the gospel.   Does this mean that the roles don’t cross over? Of course not!!!   As equal partners, all duties are shared.   We must be willing to help fill any gaps in those roles if necessary, but that doesn’t mean that all of the sudden because both parents decide to work and pur